Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Inground Project zone 4-5

Vito... I was looking at this again and thinking about.... the concrete is a brilliant idea. It went over my head for a minute but then it clicked that you break this away in spring.... That's amazing! Any sort of loose mix like this will totally keep out the rodents.... and it's simple and cheap...

Buon lavoro!
2 Comments
Vitooch1
Mine were all green as well but i had to just put them in storage I was getting anxious and plucked all it them leaves off with tons of figs left. I had so many figs this season I was done eating plus figs aren’t as tasty as September figs. Next season I’m culling a lot of my trees. I’ll be reducing to five favorites. I had a rat problem had to deal with so I had to wrap up the garden. This video was 2 weeks ago still producing figs. I had a great season. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/UdnBSerQtsk?s..._3kljBjIGe

Yup it popped in my head before falling as keep one day . I made the base with 2 x 4 then added 2 inch gravel then 1inch concrete mix. I made sure i wrapped the base of the tree with cardboard before setting the mix.  The concrete will be easy to chip away. This might be the best setup so far for me, it literally took me an hour to setup I can take it apart and reassemble the next season.
[+] 2 users Like Vitooch1's post
TorontoJoe
"2 x 4 then added 2 inch gravel then 1inch concrete mix".

I can see you know your way around il cemento Big Grin

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
Comment

Have you always wrapped each limb in the foam noodles?
Have you ever put moth balls in the box to fight off the rodents?
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
I'm unaware of anyone else doing the pool noodle thing.... or how he even found them this time of year... Smile
Comment

@TorontoJoe no need for moth balls when it’s completly sealed with concrete. The noodles was an extra thought for extra insulation.
[+] 1 user Likes Vitooch1's post
Comment

Vito.... Did you laminate the insulation to the plywood or loose fit? I'm thinking of trying this with a smaller tree.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of locking hardware so it can be reused without repeatedly using screws?

Also, maybe a permanent concrete pad with steel brackets?

There's a bit more empty space to heat vs batt insulation but I like that this basically guarantees it won't get wet. 

I thought it might be a good idea to use PT plywood... then I saw the price. Almost fell out of my chair! 

Really good work man.

[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
Comment

If my Celeste tree dies to the ground for a 5th yr in a row...I may be copying your coffin Vito.
Right next to my unprotected Mt. Etna which suffered barely any damage...yet this thing keeps freeze drying on me.
1 Comments
Vitooch1
Use cheap plywood cause it’s affordable yes. The foam insulation is tightly fitted on the walls so next season I’m able to take it all apart. The wood will be preserved when I tarp everything. I haven’t done it yet but before it rains I will tarp everything.  

This idea is also a great idea if your tree is potted and you have no storage. Build a insulated box and have the coiled heat running. The heat will reflect off the insulated walls and keep everything at temperature. I’ll be doing this for my cousin because he has absolutely no heated storage.

Im confident you’ll love this idea

I use this thermostat controller from Amazon 
ans the heated pipe coil is available on Amazon aswell. 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CNT52YLD?ref=...wisterOG=1
[+] 1 user Likes Vitooch1's post

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment

Vito, do you have a link to the coil you use?

Comment

Vitto visible controls throughout the winter 2 in of gravel and 1-in cement for rodent vole mole and whoever would like to get in your warm coffin during the winter. Everything you've done is a genius idea. Including having portable coffins for those with no storage space. As so many of our members are overwhelmed looking for insulated space. Plus with portable coffins no winter Shuffle, and no spring Shuffle. Just warm, and safe from freezing all winter long

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment