Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Always Something

Wow, you've got a whole zoo in your backyard. They all seemed disinterested in the bait as not a single vermin even tried to lick it off the front of the cage where they had easy access. I don't know, maybe it's because the cage is elevated. Maybe it's the bait. I used figs as bait. They come for figs, I give them figs. A few halves here and there, and two juicy ones, split in half all the way at the back. Worked every time.

Skunks don't climb over fences, so you need to find their entry points and close them off. I did that, and it helped keep them off. I think the same is true for possums, as I haven't seen one since I skunk-proofed my backyard. It took me a while, though. I had to place a camera in different locations for many nights until I saw where they got in. 

Maybe once you are able to keep the skunks away, you can put the cage on the ground and have a better chance of catching the coon. The problem is, once you catch it, more will come. I haven't been growing figs as long as you have, but I am already tired of fighting with them. Next year, all my efforts will be focused on making it very hard or impossible for them to get to my figs.

Good luck!
1 Comments
Figless
@Oak Fig . Its just so good to have you posting here. Your posts are always the very best. Every time I go work on my garden your influence, and your shared experience is evident everywhere I look. Nobody at the old house (OF), or this one. Have had as much of an effect on how my garden actually looks then you have. I do thank you for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
[+] 1 user Likes Oak Fig's post
Comment

Yep. There will always be more. I’ve accepted that it’s going to be an ongoing process. It’s the only way I’ve been able to mitigate damage… I’ve moved 40+ some seasons. This season not even 20. Damage didn’t really step up until recently so this new group is definitely smarter than previous. 

I’m going to change up the bait again tonight and see what happens. In the meanwhile I’ll need to figure out a different way to do this 

I think you’re right about getting the trap on the ground but yeah…. Dealing with skunks every day

Perhaps a new location soon.

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
Comment

@TorontoJoe @Figgerlickinggood. I wondered about that as well. I fell asleep last night watching that video a couple of times. So many backyard Orchard denizens. You didn't just finally have enough and pop something with your gun did you, as @Oak Fig said you have a whole zoo in your backyard.

@TorontoJoe I'm having this problem more and more often when I post. I've noticed a couple of duplicate posts from other members as well so I know I'm not the only one having to clean up double reply post could you do me a favor and clean this up to one post? Also maybe delete this post as well but Joe please take a look at it I get double reply post about every other time. I also wait I go out of the thread I go back in review the whole thing to see if there's a double Post in there. Please take a look at this with the programmer.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
Just hit send once. the wheel may be spinning but bif you scroll up you will see the message posted
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
Comment

Finally... one of the big ones!

I know there are more out there but I think this is the biggest of the lot. It really speaks to the power of my brothers porchetta Smile

Really though.... while it was clear it really wanted to avoid going in, it seems in the end it was determined to get the food. It was like it needed to run out of other options. It appears, persistence pays... 

There are more around and still no frost in the forecast so I need to stay vigilant for a while longer to protect the crops...

[+] 2 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

@TorontoJoe .Congradulations are clearly in order. Like Beowulf of old you have conquered your Grendel monster, and have him safely caged. This one is super smart so you better drive him even farther than usual. He seems to be a returnee from having been trapped before. Nevertheless Victory is now yours, and you should bask in it. For it is not every day that you can trap the smartest, and clearly the biggest Raccoon in Toronto.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 2 users Like Figless's post
Comment

Nice catch Joe...looks like the modifications paid off.
And your persistence. 😂 

Sheesh I can't get over how big they are up there compared to down here.
Though looking at the deer in Indiana vs the deer in Florida...night and day as far as size goes. 

What a cautious critter!

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment

Finally! Another one down, infinitely more to go?  Big Grin

I hope catching this one helps you save some figs for your family.

Tell me, how many figs did you lose over the past few days and how much damage did you sustain? Like yesterday, they did not touch the bait, but did they feast on your figs?
Comment

Someone’s going to have a reunion with his buddy 

[Image: IMG-2976.jpg]
1 Comments
ktrain
Lol...do you keep track of how many in total?
[+] 1 user Likes ktrain's post

[+] 2 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

@TorontoJoe   congratulations!  Old proverb says “a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.”  Or as in your case raccoon.

Teresa,  Staunton, Northwest Virginia zone 7a
[+] 2 users Like Figgerlickinggood's post
Comment

@ktrain  on a chalk board in the back hall. 

Slow year....I guess we're doing something right Smile

[Image: IMG-2982.jpg]
1 Comments
ktrain
Big Grin   And you're an artist too...jack of all trades! lol

Documentation is key! Smile

[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
Comment