Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Always Something

This morning I went out to maybe 10 bags all like this. It definitely doesn't look like a raccoon. It's weird because the figs were high up the trees and the trees were still standing. The worst thing is that these weren't even ripe figs and nothing was eaten. Just taken off the tree and left on the ground.

Does anyone know what critter might do this? I was thinking squirrels or maybe rats. Although there aren't many rats around here... I've seen I think 2 in 12 years. I don't know if opossums climb but even if they do I don't get why they'd go after the figs and leave them

Perhaps if it a smaller raccoon they're hoping it's a nice sweet fig and then realize they're still full of latex... 

I moved the trail camera to the location. Hopefully it'll pick something up tonight. 

[Image: 01.jpg]

[Image: 02.jpg]

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
Comment

@TorontoJoe . It does look like something the squirrel (who owns my backyard). Did just two days ago. Sadly I only have one large bellaclare sport fig left hanging. No branches broken no leaves on the ground. Just the squirrel. It turns out we have a skunk who likes figs. Also a raccoon, or three, and the squirrel. We closed off with bricks all the skunk holes under the fence. Now I just have to trap me a couple of squirrels, and sadly the Raccoons.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

Always something.....

I have probably said that 6,241 times this season. lol
Next season I will be better prepared!
Joe...I am curious, hope you get those buggers on film.
well....digital film. Smile

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment

I moved the trail cam out to the front where the figs and pointed it right at this area with all the activity. I also checked the footage since I hadn't done so in a few days. I was blown away at how many critters walk around at night

One massive raccoon came to visit frequently but only after something else had removed the bait from the trap. 

Over the course of a week though... Raccoon, opossum, rabbit, skunks, Squirrels (day only) and yes, a RAT.  I don't know which are climbing the trees and taking out the unripe figs. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some footage of the culprit

And I just noticed I need to set the clock on my camera

[+] 3 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

Culo cam. I like it
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
Thank you for noticing  Angel
[+] 1 user Likes Figology's post
Comment

Joe I think your property is the axis of the critter population. Has it always been like this or has it gotten worse of the years ?
3 Comments
TorontoJoe
Our neighbourhood is somewhat cut off from the surrounding city. We’re right up against Lake Ontario and half way up the bluffs with ~ one road in and out. We have our own little climate and ecosystem… which sometimes very cool. But also makes it a primo habitat for everything. Add to the list deer, coyote, foxes and even these

[Image: IMG-1874.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Figgerlickinggood
We have all those same critters too.  This morning there was 4 dear on our neighbors front lawn.
TorontoJoe
My kid looked at me funny when I suggested we name the bird Butterball  Rolleyes
Comment

I find the squirrels do that here. They really love my Capri for some reason. They take one or two bites and drop them to the ground. And it’s always the unripe figs.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
It’s quite irritating

Collector and Grower of Caprifig's
Comment

Here’s the culprit. Unfortunately he only decides to wander into the trap after trashing a bunch of figs!  Angry

[Image: IMG-2862.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2859.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2863.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2860.jpg]
2 Comments
GoodFriendMike
Sounds about right. At least you caught him.
ktrain
Looks comfy in it's cell....the one I caught was upside down playing dead when I went to check the trap. lol

Give it a bus ticket and send it on it's way.

[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
Comment

Grrrr... looks like I had more than one visitor after all... Back to turkey. I'll have to deal with it later  Angry

3 Comments
Figgerlickinggood
I thoroughly enjoyed watching your videos last night.  BTW I subscribed to your channel.  Keep those videos coming.  Maybe you can post one of you making your specialty meats.  All those jars of tomato sauce you recently canned would have made a great video.  Well there’s always next year.
[+] 2 users Like Figgerlickinggood's post
TorontoJoe
I never thought of myself as a YouTuber…. Maybe 😀
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
Figology
Are we still talking about racoons? Big Grin

Better focus on your intro:

"HHHWWWHAT'S going on Fig Fam?! ..."   

P.S.

Don't forget to smash that like button and subscribe.

Comment

GAH! Angry 

Why don't they go grow their own trees!
Opportunistic little snots...and so plump!
Lol...they must eat very well.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
Best fed 🤬 raccoons in the world!

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment