Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Green Goblin

[Image: 20240927-173115.jpg]

[Image: 20240927-173105.jpg]

[Image: Green-goblin-20240914-201858.jpg]

[Image: Green-goblin-20240914-201754.jpg]

I'm really impressed with this variety so far. VERY vigorous. LOADS of fruit. The 10 gallon tree got started as a cutting in early March.  Set about 40 figs instantly.  I allowed the tree to grow too close to the ground so they got moldy and fell off. It set 58 MORE figs, as you can see in the pictures. It grew so fast it was hard to keep watered enough. I let it get too dry 6 weeks ago and it stopped growing. It's in a 10g pot and has basically outgrown it. 

A few of the original figs didn't drop so I got to taste one, and another ripening soon. Large fig probably about 45 grams on first year tree so probably will get bigger. Very jammy and dense texture.  Flavor is nice but didn't ripen under good conditions so I won't judge yet....but i like all sweet figs. White madeira #1 ripened a fig on the same day. Similar flavor but wm #1 pulp was not as thick. 

For those who don't know this is a California seedling find.
7 Comments
ktrain
Wow that thing is just pumping out the goods.
Looks great, who doesn't like a great tasting Adriatic!
TorontoJoe
That is absolutely outstanding for a first year fig… Especially considering the tough upbringing it had 😀

Seriously… it looks just as tasty as the ones I’ve seen ripened in wasp country. Well, done
Figology
Green Gobble-in
[+] 2 users Like Figology's post
TorontoJoe
OK... yeah... I have to get me one of those!
Figless
@rnexus. Green Goblin is truly one of the Great wonders of the Fig world. This is a variety I have been fascinated with for some time. It's especially seductive when you see a variety expressing itself with the perfect phenotype. I've never even heard of a first year tree putting out over a hundred fig fruits while living in the cupboard Under the Stairs, like Harry Potter.@TorontoJoe Said he had to get one of those, I emphatically agree. @387pete. @rnexus It appears you have the magic phenotype of this variety... I am Green With Envy.
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
[+] 6 users Like rnexus's post
Comment