Fig Fanatic
Green Goblin - Printable Version

+- Fig Fanatic (http://figfanatic.com)
+-- Forum: Home (http://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Fig Talk (http://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Green Goblin (/showthread.php?tid=233)

Green Goblin - rnexus - 09-27-2024

[Image: 20240927-173115.jpg]

[Image: 20240927-173105.jpg]

[Image: Green-goblin-20240914-201858.jpg]

[Image: Green-goblin-20240914-201754.jpg]

I'm really impressed with this variety so far. VERY vigorous. LOADS of fruit. The 10 gallon tree got started as a cutting in early March.  Set about 40 figs instantly.  I allowed the tree to grow too close to the ground so they got moldy and fell off. It set 58 MORE figs, as you can see in the pictures. It grew so fast it was hard to keep watered enough. I let it get too dry 6 weeks ago and it stopped growing. It's in a 10g pot and has basically outgrown it. 

A few of the original figs didn't drop so I got to taste one, and another ripening soon. Large fig probably about 45 grams on first year tree so probably will get bigger. Very jammy and dense texture.  Flavor is nice but didn't ripen under good conditions so I won't judge yet....but i like all sweet figs. White madeira #1 ripened a fig on the same day. Similar flavor but wm #1 pulp was not as thick. 

For those who don't know this is a California seedling find.

RE: Green Goblin - ktrain - 09-27-2024

Wow that thing is just pumping out the goods.
Looks great, who doesn't like a great tasting Adriatic!

RE: Green Goblin - TorontoJoe - 09-27-2024

That is absolutely outstanding for a first year fig… Especially considering the tough upbringing it had 😀

Seriously… it looks just as tasty as the ones I’ve seen ripened in wasp country. Well, done

RE: Green Goblin - rnexus - 09-27-2024

I received the rooted cutting from 387pete. It was the healthiest rooted cutting i've ever seen, and 110% fully rooted. Plant was treated perfectly until mid August when it was just to hard to water twice a day every day.

It actually ripened that fig in the picture in the back of a greenhouse. Not much heat or light and leaves weren't facing towards the sun because I let the branches fall over. So to see that thick texture was very surprising. This tree is definitely very similar to White Madeira #1 though. My WM #1 isn't a strong grower though, but does put out a lot of fruit.

[Image: 17274760793571472212855667159183.jpg]
Here's my other GG

RE: Green Goblin - Figology - 09-27-2024

Green Gobble-in

RE: Green Goblin - TorontoJoe - 09-27-2024

OK... yeah... I have to get me one of those!

RE: Green Goblin - Figless - 09-28-2024

@rnexus. Green Goblin is truly one of the Great wonders of the Fig world. This is a variety I have been fascinated with for some time. It's especially seductive when you see a variety expressing itself with the perfect phenotype. I've never even heard of a first year tree putting out over a hundred fig fruits while living in the cupboard Under the Stairs, like Harry Potter.@TorontoJoe Said he had to get one of those, I emphatically agree. @387pete. @rnexus It appears you have the magic phenotype of this variety... I am Green With Envy.

RE: Green Goblin - rnexus - 10-06-2024

[Image: Green-goblin-20241006-121427.jpg]
Ripened indoors. Fig doesn't detach easily.  Likely can dry on the tree. The fig was already shriveling a bit (in.a good way). Skin is thick/tough, hopefully it can handle rain well also. Very tasty!

RE: Green Goblin - ChesapeakeFigs - 10-06-2024

I'm excited about this one.  Mine is small, but has 5 or 6 figs almost hitting the swelling stage, great for a cutting I started this year.... hope I find them before the squirrels do  Smile