Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Planting in ground now Zone 8

Is now the best time for S. Arkansas?

Guess I may find out the hard way...

[Image: IMG-2815.jpg]
11 Comments
TorontoJoe
Hard was for be has always been the best way. I plant in ground in spring to let the roots grow as much as possible before the first winter... But it's the only way I've done it... so please keep us posted

Also, I love your user avatar picture. It's great!
[+] 2 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Figless
@PapaFig  @TorontoJoe Planting in the ground in south Arkansaw, and Ontario Canada. You guys are the cold weather wizards who do it every year. I'm just a very old California boy who thinks a double layered High tunnel Greenhouse might help your fig trees make it through a cold winter. LOL but seriously what do I know? I just want to give it a try sometime. I wish we had fruitnut here. He is in Texas but he's at a 4000 ft elevation, and it gets cold in his area. I believe he employs a 2300 square foot Greenhouse with the double layered roof.

@PapaFig   @TorontoJoe Planting in the ground in south Arkansaw, and Ontario Canada. You guys are the cold weather wizards who do it every year. I'm just a very old California boy who thinks a double layered High tunnel Greenhouse might help your fig trees make it through a cold winter. LOL but seriously what do I know? I just want to give it a try sometime. I wish we had fruitnut here. He is in Texas but he's at a 4000 ft elevation, and it gets cold in his area. I believe he employs a 2300 square foot Greenhouse with the double layered roof
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
ktrain
Honestly I'm not sure what the weather is like there, that is one state I have not visited.
I do believe most people do their planting in spring, at least fig trees.
Maybe be sure to give the base of the tree a nice blanket of mulch just in case it suffers die back on the top side.
They can grow back from the ground.
Definitely be interested to see how they do come spring.
[+] 2 users Like ktrain's post
TorontoJoe
No matter how harsh the winter here. My trees would grow back from the ground if I planted in spring
[+] 2 users Like TorontoJoe's post
LadyGT
I have always read that the best planting time for trees is in early fall so that the roots can become established in mild temps. I hope all goes well for you.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyGT's post

S. Arkansas, ZONE 8a
[+] 3 users Like PapaFig's post
Comment

@JMF75 

We are looking at the following in ground as of today...
Black Greek Marius Unk
Red Sicilian
Malta Black
Syrian Dark #2
Celeste
Golden Riverside
Sao Miguel Roxo
Smith
NSDCarmen
Rogil
Verte
Medici Historic Reserve #1
CDD Rimada
Texas Strawberry Unk
De la Reina
Maryland Berry

And in another row,
Bryant Dark
Belleclaire Sport
Schoeneck
Navids Dark Greek unk
Syrian Dark #2
Red Sicilian
Maryland Berry

And six more holes dug. 

Hopefully, we will get about 10 more in ground tomorrow.

S. Arkansas, ZONE 8a
Comment