Fig Fanatic
Planting in ground now Zone 8 - Printable Version

+- Fig Fanatic (http://figfanatic.com)
+-- Forum: Home (http://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Fig Talk (http://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Planting in ground now Zone 8 (/showthread.php?tid=274)

Pages: 1 2

Planting in ground now Zone 8 - PapaFig - 10-01-2024

Is now the best time for S. Arkansas?

Guess I may find out the hard way...

[Image: IMG-2815.jpg]

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - TorontoJoe - 10-01-2024

Hard was for be has always been the best way. I plant in ground in spring to let the roots grow as much as possible before the first winter... But it's the only way I've done it... so please keep us posted

Also, I love your user avatar picture. It's great!

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - Figless - 10-01-2024

@PapaFig  @TorontoJoe Planting in the ground in south Arkansaw, and Ontario Canada. You guys are the cold weather wizards who do it every year. I'm just a very old California boy who thinks a double layered High tunnel Greenhouse might help your fig trees make it through a cold winter. LOL but seriously what do I know? I just want to give it a try sometime. I wish we had fruitnut here. He is in Texas but he's at a 4000 ft elevation, and it gets cold in his area. I believe he employs a 2300 square foot Greenhouse with the double layered roof.

@PapaFig   @TorontoJoe Planting in the ground in south Arkansaw, and Ontario Canada. You guys are the cold weather wizards who do it every year. I'm just a very old California boy who thinks a double layered High tunnel Greenhouse might help your fig trees make it through a cold winter. LOL but seriously what do I know? I just want to give it a try sometime. I wish we had fruitnut here. He is in Texas but he's at a 4000 ft elevation, and it gets cold in his area. I believe he employs a 2300 square foot Greenhouse with the double layered roof

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - ktrain - 10-01-2024

Honestly I'm not sure what the weather is like there, that is one state I have not visited.
I do believe most people do their planting in spring, at least fig trees.
Maybe be sure to give the base of the tree a nice blanket of mulch just in case it suffers die back on the top side.
They can grow back from the ground.
Definitely be interested to see how they do come spring.

No matter how harsh the winter here. My trees would grow back from the ground if I planted in spring

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - LadyGT - 10-01-2024

I have always read that the best planting time for trees is in early fall so that the roots can become established in mild temps. I hope all goes well for you.

@LadyGT  makes a good point. I’ve always planted in spring because that’s just the way. I’ve always done it. And then I have to consider that my winters aren’t exactly mild. This is something I would definitely like more feedback on. I wonder if the reason I always planted in springs because that’s when nurseries sell new trees.

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - JMF75 - 10-01-2024

3+ year old trees in the Spring will do better as they're established and have older hardened wood. Are you protecting them ? Risky move but might pay off. Good luck. 👍

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - LadyGT - 10-01-2024

After thinking about my earlier response, I think it all depends on which zone you are in.  My zone doesn't get its first frost until sometime in November and it's usually a light one. We typically can wear shorts until Thanksgiving so our temps are really mild. Last year we got hit with the polar vortex in December which really hurt our trees because the branches were not lignified yet or  dormant.  

The best advice to give is to be prepared for some unusual weather.  Hurricane Helene is a prime example.  I have lived in middle GA for 30 years and never had a hurricane give the southeast so much trouble.  Hope you did a perc test for drainage just in case we get above average rainfall.  I have noticed our climate in the southeast has been changing over the past 10 years or so.  I would have some cold protection supplies ready  if we get some extremely cold weather this winter.   Does bubble wrap do anything? lol

RE: Planting in ground now Zone 8 - PapaFig - 10-01-2024

@Figless I think Fruitnut's greenhouse is just single layer, but he has a couple of Reznor gas heaters hanging if I remember correctly. 

I have been thinking about something along those lines, with sides to roll up but birdnetting/poultry wire underneath that I leave on in the summer and shade cloth over the very top... a man can DREAM!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

(10-01-2024, 08:41 AM)JMF75 Wrote:  3+ year old trees in the Spring will do better as they're established and have older hardened wood. Are you protecting them ? Risky move but might pay off. Good luck. 👍

These are mostly 2 years old with well lignified wood. 

I will mulch them and possibly put a barrel over them. 

I may even set some air layers if I can find time in the next 10 days.