Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Acronyms for Figs

@Figgerlickinggood . I am with Teresa on the subject. I don't enjoy overusing acronyms. My favorite to dislike is Hative D'Argenteuil. It gets referred to as HDA, or Hative so often that it's almost impossible for a newbie to make the association LOL since I am a newbie my frustrations with the spelling of this variety are still fresh in my mind. That's why I almost always use Hative D'Argenteuil. Instead of a acronym. I know @Figology thought I was reprimanding him about the abbreviation when I tried to make a joke about it in the HDA thread. I thank you @9ah-figlet for creating this list. While I do know many of the acronyms, I don't know them all, and many still elude me.

@9ah-figlet thank you once again for doing this work. Especially doing it keeping the Newbie in mind... while this is my 1700 post between the old house, and figfanatic.com I am still very much a newbie, and I definitely think like one. I'm still struggling with the new format here. To be honest if someone would let me know where the acronyms are stored I would be grateful.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
Comment

So what I’m hearing here is that this is the perfect thread for people who hate acronyms  Wink
1 Comments
richbbfigs
exactly right for me!  thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes richbbfigs's post

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
Comment

@TorontoJoe . Acronyms just a fact of life... LOL I still haven't memorized them all. I was feeling peculiar about it tell Teresa admitted she still has some trouble with them too. It's certainly going to be a very popular feature, and one the old house did not have.

Joe"#1 . Any chance we could have a greenhouse (how to section) in frequently asked questions? There will always be threads of members showing their new Greenhouse, but that's quite a bit different than a how to section.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
I can make that happen..... Will you be posting the first thread? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Comment

@TorontoJoe @9ah-figlet 

It’s definitely a good reference for folks researching certain figs when only the abbreviation is commonly used.

I’d hate to be the guy trying to sell Strawberry Teardrop for maximum price only listing it by its abbreviation - STD.

South Jersey - USDA Zone 7b
[+] 1 user Likes bushdoctor82's post
Comment

@bushdoctor82 

I can see the wish list now... "Seeking STD's"  Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

@TorontoJoe. Joe the first how to Greenhouse post? i am not worthy, but I will be happy to do my best. Applause Big Grin
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
We don't allow experts here so that's not a problem. I just don't want to create an empty forum.... So I'll create it... but you need to post in it  Wink

Comment

@Figless  Be careful what you wish for!  Big Grin

https://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=41

Comment

I know that there is a lot going on behind the seen with the admin staff.    In the future, would it be possible to expand on this list of acronyms to include variety descriptions of fruit , leaves, growing habits, pictures?  Kind of like a Figfanatic owned version of Figdatabase.  That would be a highly valuable resource to new and experienced fig growers.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
This is a trickier one but indeed, it’s on our radar.
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
[+] 1 user Likes DCallahan's post
Comment