Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Acronyms for Figs

BMKK, WM#1, HDA...  This thread is for those wondering what they all mean. Please help me populate this list.

For now anyone can edit but once we get it filled up, I'll lock it down so we can limit tampering. Eventually, I hope to be able to add tables directly in threads.

Please make your acronym addition HERE

And please feel free to post below to discuss fig acronyms

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 3 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

Great Idea.
[+] 2 users Like Figology's post
Comment

I added a bunch to the Google doc.

Nina—25 miles south of Philly—zone 7B
[+] 2 users Like 9ah-figlet's post
Comment

Yeah! Thanks…. I plan to leave this open for a while. I’ll do some backups regularly so it doesn’t accidentally get broken. Ultimately I’d like to figure out a way to allow everyone do ads but not delete so we can protect it. 

This is cool. Definitely some i didn’t know

[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post
Comment

Ok, cool. I set up a schedule so the spreadsheet gets backed up to a different location daily.

Comment

I was adding some before work but had to scoot...really good start to the list!

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment

Who determines what variety gets what acronym?

There are already duplicates for BB, BT and CC. Also, is it JHA or AJH? I use AJH because that’s how I purchased that variety, but not sure the “correct” nomenclature.

South Jersey - USDA Zone 7b
Comment

@bushdoctor82 

This is certainly not intended to be official. More of a helpful tool for those who come across an acronym in a post and don't know what fig a person is referring to. If accuracy is important I would definitely recommend someone reach out to the person using it.

I don't know if we'll ever have a scenario where there is an official nomenclature. I wouldn't want the responsibility of deciding.

Comment

I HATE ACRONYMS!  I can’t begin to tell ya’ll how the very first day back in May 2020 when I joined in the other forum just how frustrating and “lost in translation” I was.  I endured the frustration because I truly wanted to learn about growing figs.  So slowly reading the posts and seeing when someone would type out the entire name over time I would figure out the words and names of figs.  The very first one I recognized was RLBV = Red Lebanese Beekka Valley. Then CLBC= Colonel Litmans Black Cross, etc etc.  there’s still some I don’t recognize but it’s not frustrating as it used to be.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
I hear you... I still find myself scratching my head sometimes. That's precisely the reason I wanted us to build this sheet. So we'd have a handy reference.

Teresa,  Staunton, Northwest Virginia zone 7a
Comment

When I was adding items, I was aiming to help a newbie who can’t tell what a jumble of letters represent. I can’t remember if I added it as JHA or AJH, but suggest it would be appropriate to add both if people are going to use both. 

I aimed for over inclusion (ie, added NdA even though it isn’t seen as much as RLBV) in case someone needs to figure out what NdA is. I reviewed popular fig sites to see what was being used. I didn’t add anything if I didn’t see it in use—I didn’t create an abbreviation like PdC for Pota de Cavall (MP) because the fig isn’t popular enough to merit it.

If someone thinks we should aim for more or less inclusive, please let me know.

Nina—25 miles south of Philly—zone 7B
[+] 2 users Like 9ah-figlet's post
Comment