Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rooting Hormones, Which one and why?

I agree that figs don't *need* rooting hormone, but if it's available and costs the equivalent of 1 maybe 2 cuttings, I'm going to have some around.  I think it's most useful for pushing airlayers, but it certainly helps getting cuttings going if used per directions. 

I don't like the powder since it can cake on and cause rot, but it has worked just fine for me if applied carefully.  I had some clonex that worked fine and now I have dip n gro which came with a graduated cylinder, which is nice.  All work the same as far as I can tell.
[+] 1 user Likes hambones's post
Comment

I once had someone tell me about finding a fig growing at the edge of the road where a pruned-off branch fell off a landscape truck and rooted into the ground. So, they want to grow roots whether there is a rooting hormone or not.  But, I typically use whatever hormone I have handy. If I have a lot of other cuttings to stick, I mix Dip N Grow. If only a few, I use powder. 
I was at a large wholesale landscape nursery the other day. They root about 95% of what they grow out. I saw a large tub of Hormodin and commented that I like to use Dip N Grow. His response was that they mainly use Dip N Grow, but some items do better with powder.  I suspect that the Dip N Grow, especially if they are using an alcohol base, can burn perennials and non-hardened cuttings, like hydrangea (though I get good results with hydrangea using a water preparation).
[+] 1 user Likes Colomb's post
Comment