Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rooting Hormones, Which one and why?

Which rooting aid is your favorite to use for rooting fig cuttings? 
Last couple years I used Hormex powder and had good success with it.  This year I came across a free bottle of Dip and Gro, no results to report yet but I see people like the Dip & Gro. I like the no mess application, just dip in liquid and go with it. 
Curious what everyone's favorite is to use and why you like that kind.
Comment

I had the best results with Hormodin-3 and it was less expensive than most of the others. I started using it for air-layers and stopped using it for cuttings because they did decently without any.
[+] 1 user Likes Figology's post
Comment

@DCallahan @Figology.... Figology is certainly one of our most knowledgeable members so if he likes a rooting hormone it's going to be a very good one. I like dip and grow. It also contains IBA or indole-3 butyric acid. It also contains another rooting hormone 1-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA):
It has an application cup so that every cutting is given the same strength, and amount as every other one. It's foolproof, and very even in application. Which is why I like it very much.

I have been using it for 30 years, to good effect. I do have a problem with scraping the cambium layer which can cause rot no matter what rooting hormone you're using.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

I don't want to sounds like a negative ninny...lol

I quit using them when I realized figs rooted well without.
Started using the powder but found that it aided in rot at the covered area.
I do have some liquid hormone and I did try some the year before last, just to see if there was actually a big difference.
To be honest I didn't see a huge difference.
But I certainly don't knock anyone for using it. Big Grin 
I used Dip and Grow btw.

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes ktrain's post
Comment

I brush on Clonex where I score the cutting. Set it and forget it.
[+] 1 user Likes JMF75's post
Comment

When I started, I used Dip n Grow. The 2nd season I skipped it. I didn’t miss it.

Nina—25 miles south of Philly—zone 7B
[+] 1 user Likes 9ah-figlet's post
Comment

I always used a thin layer of Clonex in the past and worked fine. Times where I dipped the cutting directly into bottle, the cutting rotted, which may or may not be contributed to thick layer of Clonex. I don’t think more is better pertains to rooting hormone.

South Jersey - USDA Zone 7b
Comment

I like to use Dip ‘N Grow when rooting cuttings during the winter months.  I also just cut two slits in the cutting. 

For air layers and when rooting cuttings outdoors in the spring, I use a watered down solution (50% Clonex, 50% water) of Clonex.   For these efforts, I scratch off bark down to the cambium on two sides of the cuttings.

Hillsborough, NJ    Zone 7b

Wishlist: Angelito, Irene’s Black Greek
[+] 1 user Likes Opiem10's post
Comment

I like Clonex - I paint a very thin layer and apply it to a cutting that has been scraped to the cambium layer on both sides of a node and the bottom. I have had good success while using it, and a little bit goes a long way (DON’T over-apply it or you will get root madness and no, or significantly delayed, leaves). I tried various methods when starting to root 6 years ago, and my attempts with Clonex worked the best. I’ve stuck with it and haven’t had the time nor desire to test it further. JSacadura (YouTube) and others have tested it, and it isn’t necessary - but I’ll take any advantage I can get - with top dollar cuttings - and it takes very little time to do it.

Brian. Manassas, VA zone 7a. WL: Hollier, CLBC, VDB (any variant), Iranian Candy, Perretta, Unk. Spain, Carrillo Unknown. 
Comment

I like Clonex too. I started using it in Winter '21/'22, and it made the world of difference for me. I also started using Pro-Mix HP along with scoring and then Clonex. I feel like my success rate is now 90-95+ % range, but it also could be that I've just learned more from when I started in April '20. All around, I feel like it can't hurt.
[+] 2 users Like Drew351's post
Comment