Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Calabria beautiful place to visit

They must have some very goo figs there.  @TorontoJoe have you been to any of these places?

Teresa,  Staunton, Northwest Virginia zone 7a
[+] 2 users Like Figgerlickinggood's post
Comment

I absolutely adore Calabria. I've been to most of these places. I haven't spent as much time around Catanzaro as I'm usually on rout to Sicily after visiting family up near Cosenza. In my humble opinion, Pizzo, just north of Tropea should be on the list. It's the birthplace of Tartufo. They take it very seriously, as they hand make it to order. But Tropea is fabulous. You could spend an entire holiday there and never get bored. The food in Calabria is bold and indescribably good.

As for the figs.... it's difficult to describe. We hear the tales about people going fig hunting.... Figs are like weeds there... all the way from Scalea, Calabria... right down over the straight of Messina.... through Palermo and to Trapani... Wild figs grow everywhere.... Certainly some grow better than others... But it's true fig-country

Back to Tropea and the video... I'm finally ripening one that was hanging off a ledge right about here. It's quite unique. You'll be seeing more of it in the coming days. Smile

[Image: tropea.png]

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 5 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

I have been wondering about this fig and the Capri you have. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about them.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
The capri may have not made it... thankfully it's on the homestead at Rocca

Dalle Muro di Tropea is finally stable... and it's nice..... very, very nice! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Collector and Grower of Caprifig's
[+] 1 user Likes GoodFriendMike's post
Comment

@TorontoJoe @Figgerlickinggood 
@GoodFriendMike I just wanted to express my gratitude, every time Teresa writes a post it takes me on an adventure. This time to a magic Italian, or Sicilian Paradise. Where amazing wild figs grow off Mountain ledges, like weeds, and then ((Mike)) is sitting at a Sidewalk Cafe watching all the Male Capri figs, swaying in a Southern Italian Breeze. This thread pleased me very much... CaIabria I most probably will never get there, but the three of you made me wish that I could go.
2 Comments
GoodFriendMike
I am sure I will never get there as well. But we can dream. Smile
TorontoJoe
South italy is rustic and it's cheap. It's just a matter of getting there... and then, slowing down.

My people never built colosseum's or leaning towers or great canals with gondalas.... No grand fountains.... but if you want rustic beauty, homesteading... the best things to eat that are actually made with.... REAL FOOD grown on local farms.....  in age old towns the same way it's been made for many generations..... with restaurants that grow everything on the menu.... and sitting over a coffee and talking for an hour instead of grabbing it in a drive-thru on your way to your next thing.... you'll love it.

Toronto still has direct flights to Lamezia, Calabria.... the only direct flight destination south of Rome. Chicago might have more options....

It's a 9-10 hour journey... The people in the south are generally so happy to see a visitor form north America that they basically roll out their version of a red carpet.

I know I'm bias and just very proud of the place.... But it's pretty cool...

Did I mention figs, everywhere? Smile
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
Comment

That looks like an amazing place!
Having buildings right on that cliff is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. lol
3 Comments
TorontoJoe
Now... just for fun...  imagine how your wife would react if you spotted an awesome looking fig... hanging out over the cliff...  just out of reach, and you climbed out to get a few cuttings... Not that this would ever happen.... But if it did.. woah!
ktrain
LOL....A man has to do what a man has to do! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes ktrain's post
Figgerlickinggood
@TorontoJoe my husband and I watched some videos on YouTube about countries over seas that are inexpensive to retire like $1500.00 per month, rent, food, utilities with eat out a couple of days.  My question to you is can we do that in Calabria when my husband retires?  Maybe not in these 10 places but somewhere in Calabria maybe in the more countryside area not tourist places.
[+] 1 user Likes Figgerlickinggood's post

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
[+] 2 users Like ktrain's post
Comment

Teresa. Calabria and Sicily are quite rustic and beautiful and also quite inexpensive compared to northern Italy. The climate for me is perfect as well. They’re quite welcoming of retirees who wish to move there. 

I plan to spend most of my time there one day why this work thing is over with. 

If it’s something you’re seriously considering, I’d recommend an extended vacation or two to check it out. I’d be happy to recommend some nice areas and help familiarize you with some local customs….. like how to argue over a parking spot in the city  Big Grin
1 Comments
Figgerlickinggood
Grazie Grazie Grazie

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
Comment