Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

I waited a long time for this one to hit its stride... I think it's finally there. really unique flavour. Sweet but lots of other things going on int here as well. Very fruity. It probably could've used another day... but excellent

[Image: IMG-2759.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2761.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2762.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2763.jpg]

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 12 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

HDA has been very interesting for me.  Its one of my most inconsistent figs.  Some are amazing, especially when very ripe.  Some have an odd off fig leaf/wood flavor that I don't like.  Seems almost 50/50 for me.  The ones that are good though, are amazing and rich

-Kevin - Zone 7b Chesapeake City, Maryland
-  Chesapeakefigs.com  -
[+] 4 users Like ChesapeakeFigs's post
Comment

Unique is exactly how I describe that one.
In my top 5 fo sho! Big Grin 

Looks like you have a nice mix!

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes ktrain's post
Comment

I feel this one can be amazing in a big enough pot or in ground. Mine is a graft on a rootstock that doesn’t seem to nourish the top growth much. Only a foot of growth in 2 years.

Btw, HdA is much easier to type than looking up how it’s spelled 😂 .
[+] 3 users Like Figology's post
Comment

Who wants to build a fig acronym section?  Rolleyes
2 Comments
Figology
IDK, MKWLT?
TorontoJoe
I volunteer you! Smile

Comment

@TorontoJoe  @Figology .Hative D'Argenteuil. Is a very difficult to propagate, but very tasty fig. So far propagating its successfully has eluded me. Please do not confuse this delicious fig for the much harder to spell, and pronounce HDA. The two often get confused. They're easier to tell apart if you remember that Hative D'Argenteuil just rolls off the tongue. BTW @Figology how big the pot do you recommend growing Hative D'Argenteuil in?
2 Comments
Figology
I can't tell if you're being humorous or serious about them being two different figs of if you're trying to correct me on the HDA vs HdA   Smile  .

At any rate, here's a little history for anyone willing. 

"Hâtive d’Argenteuil. A variety received from southern France in 1928, under P.I. No. 69,016. Not identified with any other variety in the collection at Riverside"

https://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/391-296.pdf
Figology
I'm growing in a 15 gallon nursery trade pot. I suggest something bigger. I'll get back to you once I check out the root system.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

[Image: IMG-20230927-131557364.jpg]
Hative D'argenteiul from my tree.  It's a third yr tree from cutting, went in ground this spring. Went in a prime spot, Southeast corner of my house. 
   This variety grows allot faster and bigger than expected based on other peoples reviews of it before I got it. 
  It was going to be a smaller tree in front of my art studio, but it grows to big to fast. Which is a good surprise, hoping for a good 10 pounds of figs from this tree next year. 
 It doesn't take many figs to make a pound so , this may be realistic.

North Central Alabama zone 8a
[+] 4 users Like Southeast Figs's post
Comment

Great fig for humid and rainy climates. Very rarely splits for me.

@ TorontoJoe What size pot do you have your HdA in?
[+] 1 user Likes JMF75's post
Comment

I really liked this fig. It checks a lot of boxes, so it earned a spot in the ground here. We planted it Spring of 2023 and it grew well last year. However, it did not survive the winter. I was so disappointed to loose this one. I will be replacing it.

Angel #1 Chattanooga, TN Zone 8-A
Join my "Figs" email list
Save The Date: 6th Southeast Fig Frolic Sept. 13, 2025
[+] 1 user Likes 2Angels's post
Comment

Amazing to me that we both have winter issues......

Comment