Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any Interest in Exploring/Reporting on Unknowns?

I learned so much on the first forums I had joined over 6 years ago.   To do the same on Figfanatic.com, I want to see if there is any interest on the part of members to grow and report on Unknown varieties in my collection that I would like to offer as giveaways each year.  My goal would be to offer 4-6 rooted cuttings to members across various hardiness zones in the US each year and have members report on the growth of their trees and the flavor of the figs they harvest.  I would only ask for the actual cost of shipping should you be chosen to receive a tree.

If there is interest, my 2024 Unknown giveaway will be for a variety I bought as "DaVinci Code".   It is an adriatic type fig which was found growing on the property where Leonardo DaVinci spend his childhood years.   I assume it was planted there many years after DaVinci lived there.   A California grower had family in Italy and somehow, cuttings made their way to the US many years ago.  In NJ, I grow this variety in a pot, where it is a modest grower, possibly indicative of being a natural dwarf.   It is a unifera variety that does however, ripen its full crop for me.   Figs weigh in between 30 and 50 grams each.   A perfectly ripe DaVinci Code fig has a nice berry flavor with an acidic bite that lingers in your mouth.  If left to hang longer, the figs get sweeter and have a more intense berry flavor, but lose that acidity.

I already have friends from Georgia and Arkansas who want to be part of this trial, so I would hope to also find members in the following regions to take part:
Pacific Northwest
Texas/Arizona, New Mexico regions
Midwest
Louisiana/Florida

So we all can learn more about unknown varieties, I hope members can do the following:
1) Report once in the spring and once in the fall about progress
2) Grow in ground or in a pot, using your local preferred method
3) Post pictures
4) If the fig grows well for you, feel free to pay it forward to friends 

If there are multiple members from on region, I will randomly choose the member to receive the tree.   Please just don't express interest if you have no desire to post follow up information.   After all, this is intended to be a learning experience for members.

Members interested in participating should respond to this post by Oct 9th.  That should give current and newly introduced members time to review and respond.   If their is enthusiasm for such giveaways, maybe a sub-folder can be created so members can easily find and track updates.
[Image: Da-Vinci-Code-Giveaways-2024.jpg]

[Image: Da-Vinci-Code-2024.jpg]

[Image: Da-Vinci-Code-Pulp-2024.jpg]
10 Comments
ktrain
That is very cool and looks like a fantastic fig.
I am currently down sizing though...but man that's hard to pass up. lol
Besides, I'm in Georgia too.
Just can't take on any more right now...I just gifted 20 trees at the Fig Frolic.
Hope to see more info on this in the future! Smile
GoodFriendMike
I wonder if this would get more attention on the main forum? I am sure many would be happy to trial figs. As that's kinda what we all do right? We all trial named an unnamed figs to try and find the best for our area and taste buds.
[+] 1 user Likes GoodFriendMike's post
DCallahan
Great write up!!
I was gifted a DaVinci code this Spring when I visited @Opiem10  to purchase a couple other trees he had for sale. 
My tree is doing very well but it will not bear ripe fruit this year. 
Maryland 7b potted 
Opiem10 still needs to stop by and grab a tree from me.
[+] 2 users Like DCallahan's post
Endirenay
This looks very interesting! I'm always interested in unks. I have many, but sadly too small to share cuttings. I am In PA just south of philly in zone 7b if you are looking for this area.
[+] 2 users Like Endirenay's post
Red_Sun
I think it is very important to "name" those unknowns.  Most of them are re-distributed named varieties.  Then for whatever reason(s), names get lost.  This is why we get > 12 Brunswick figs.  And more > 40 Mt. Etna figs.  And we get strange name like Genovese Nero Robs which is not even a Genovese Nero.  

With my unknowns, I'll grow them until I'm certain what type figs they are.  I grow a yellow fig for 3 years and still not certain what it is.  Then Peter Lee told me what that fig is the Sicilian White.  Then the "Holy Grail" white honey fig is clearly a Lattarula fig.  So I call it a Lattarula strain.  

It is really helpful if you can ID the unknowns.  So we know what they are.  They can be strains or clones.  We probably do not want to grow 12 varieties of Brunswick figs.  If some strains or clones are consistently superior, then they deserve own names.
[+] 3 users Like Red_Sun's post

Hillsborough, NJ    Zone 7b

Wishlist: Angelito, Irene’s Black Greek
[+] 5 users Like Opiem10's post
Comment

For my 2024 DaVinci Code trials (giveaway), I have 7 members who are interested in receiving a plant and reporting on its progress over the next few years.   For this first UNKNOWN TRIAL, we will have a lot of East Coast involvement, but it should still allow for more experiences than my own with this variety.

I would ask the following members to private message me with their full name and mailing address so that I can ship out their new DaVinci Code tree next week.   I will also respond with the actual shipping cost.  

Endirenay
Shaft
Joelsmith
JMF75

Figless-------a California grower,  to receive cuttings from me when I prune my mother tree.

Hillsborough, NJ    Zone 7b

Wishlist: Angelito, Irene’s Black Greek
[+] 3 users Like Opiem10's post
Comment

Looking forward to gathering some data on this beauty. Thank you for the opportunity.
1 Comments
Opiem10
Dan, It looks like your DaVinci Code grew well for you in one season.   You have similar growth to what I have experienced.  My figs tend to grow on the tips of new growth, so I will be pruning my tree back a bit harder this coming spring to encourage green growth.   

Sorry to see the fig appearing to split, but I hope that is only due to the late ripening.  Next year, I don't think you'll see the same splitting if the figs develop earlier and ripen sooner.
[+] 1 user Likes Opiem10's post
[+] 1 user Likes JMF75's post
Comment

My DaVinci code that I received from Opiem10 earlier this summer.   It grow very well and even gave a fruit in the first year.
7 gallon trash can, 4ft bamboo stake for reference

My DaVinci code that I received from Opiem10 earlier this summer.   It grow very well and even gave a fruit in the first year.
7 gallon trash can, 4ft bamboo stake for reference 
[Image: IMG-20241013-180420-MP.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20241013-180442-MP.jpg]
1 Comments
Tridrama
Very nice growth on a first year tree. Any notes about growing it in a trashcan you'd like to share? Just curious.
[+] 4 users Like DCallahan's post
Comment

@DCallahan. My apologies, what a beautiful looking fig tree. Straight From the Source, congratulations. I guess I have just been the recipient of too many ((not varieties)) like my not Angelito Garden.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

Wow this sounds interesting too bad I missed the cutoff, I will be following next year to see what comes of the experiment.

Zone 9b, Phoenix, AZ. 

Future Pomegranates: Haku Botan, California White, Sverkhranniy, Kaj-Acik Anor, Babylonian White, Parfianka.
Future Citrus: Cara Cara or Moro Orange
Future Figs: Wuhan, Syrian Dark, Gulbun, Malta purple, Red or Yellow Lebanese, St Rita, CLBC. 
Comment