Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spotted lantern fly not just at Walmart...

@Figless This one was at my front door and then started to climb up the wall.  
[Image: IMG-20241005-150749095-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20241005-150809183.jpg]
1 Comments
Figless
@Figgerlickinggood. Teresa that's too dang close I do not like that at all. What's growing in that backyard besides figs again? Hold on let's see if I can get the name of that invasive Chinese tree that's also growing out of control. The spotted Lantern fly has been chasing The tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima), a highly invasive tree that originated in China. (Ailanthus), grapevines, black walnut, maples (they will preferentially feed on silver maple, then red maple), willow, river birch, black cherry, tulip poplar, and other trees. Teresa please Google (Ailanthus) The Tree Of Heaven. Let's get a picture of it.

Teresa,  Staunton, Northwest Virginia zone 7a
Comment

@Figless I just thought that was so ironic that right after my son showed me they were at Walmart one literally showed up at my door.  It’s like he wanted to say hello I’m here and introduce himself.  Well that literally put the nail in the coffin for growing grapes.  I have just one tree here in the backyard.  Have no idea what kind it is but it’s a big beautiful tree.  Only other plants are the fig trees we brought here.  Here’s a picture of the tree.
[Image: 683-B3-DF8-D68-A-4-C04-B1-D9-5-CAC5637-AAC9.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Figgerlickinggood's post
Comment

@Figgerlickinggood . Teresa yes it's really ironic. Which was why I suggested all those different fruit, and ornamental trees the lantern fly is attracted to. I somehow find it hard to believe that it's invading Virginia in such alarming numbers without some logical reasons. That Walmart may have a tree of Heaven growing out front. There's something attracting it to your neighborhood as well.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

@Figless I looked up if I should report to Virginia agriculture about the SLF here in Staunton.  Turns out they already know.  Staunton is in the red.
[Image: IMG-20241007-123207743-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20241007-123110479.jpg]

Comment