Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bark Grafting ... and my first!

I know... in all the years I've been growing figs I've never grafted. I know I'm not exactly accomplished at this but I'll probably copy it to the propagation section since there isn't a bark graft there yet.

A fellow member was kind enough to send me some beautiful scions so with his assistance, this is my first. It's a bark graft on a Letizia rootstock.

I debugged the rootstock a few days ago and placed in sterilized Promix HP. Since this is in the house I wanted to make sure it was very clean. The root system was very well developed. I found the pressure washer did a very good job of removing old mix from the root ball. Then I cut it down and capped with some parafilm so it wouldn't dry out as I did this over a few days.

[Image: 0001.jpg]

I can totally see how the skill builds with practice. It was tricky for me to get nice, smooth cuts... I think I should have enough contact... 

[Image: 0002.jpg][Image: 0003.jpg][Image: 0004.jpg][Image: 0005.jpg]
[Image: 0006.jpg][Image: 0008.jpg][Image: 0009.jpg]

I was originally going to break out the parafilm again but in order to get it really tight I used some electrical tape, since this is not an area where it really needs to breath...

[Image: 0011.jpg]

I followed up with a light coat of wood glue to seal off the trunk and close off the gaps. 

[Image: 0012.jpg][Image: 0013.jpg][Image: 0014.jpg]

After the glue sets I'll cover with a plastic bag and tie it off with an elastic band.

Now we wait!

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 4 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

I might have to try this.

Collector and Grower of Caprifig's
[+] 1 user Likes GoodFriendMike's post
Comment

Nice work, hopefully it will take
[+] 2 users Like Figneer's post
Comment

First and foremost, killer cowboy hat.

I grafted mulberries like that and they all failed. I hope you have better luck.
2 Comments
TorontoJoe
It's my wife's. She says it's called a "festival hat". Not quite cowboy shape. A bit more round. She bought it on an impulse... and it looks awesome on her.... but she's trying to decide on a good time where she can pull it off... so she left it near the front door, hoping she gets inspired to put it on. Smile

I love cowboy hats but we don't see many this far east..... And I don't think I could pull one off given how... um, Mediterranean I look Wink

The grafts.... I hope so too! Fingers crossed.
Figology

I know, I was just trying to be funny 😂
Comment

@TorontoJoe. They say you never forget your first time Joe. I wish you luck on this one, it looks like an exciting graft. Maybe with this figfanatic.com platform grows up, we can have Regional events where we can drink Belgian wheat beer with Kevin, and do these fancy Grafts together...
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
Really, I thought @ktrain  would be on to a stout or even a nut brown ale after how busy we've all been the last month Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
Comment

Well @TorontoJoe    as a matter of fact, I do keep some around. Big Grin 

[Image: IMG-20241019-230829163-HDR.jpg]
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
I knew it...  I sensed something had changed.... Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment

@TorontoJoe Now you’ve gotta try chip bud grafting. It’s my favorite. It’s so fast, easy, and effective. Although, whip and tongue works like a charm when scions are the same diameter.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
Baby steps.....   Smile

Brian. Manassas, VA zone 7a. WL: Hollier, CLBC, VDB (any variant), Iranian Candy, Perretta, Unk. Spain, Carrillo Unknown. 
Comment