Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Profichi Crop in Hot Climates

I have acquired a couple of caprifigs (Yanonali aka GxY, Girsch, and 2 seedlings) over the past two seasons with the hope of hand-pollinating my figs. From the beginning, I’ve been wondering if it’s even possible for the profichi crop to set and ripen, given that the trees where I live never go dormant due to the mild winters. The lowest temperature we experience is around 8ºC (46ºF).

I am also only aware of one variety that sets brebas (called Spanish Green). Does this mean the profichi is unlikely to set since it’s the breba equivalent? Is there any published information or evidence indicating that caprifigs do not require low temperatures or dormancy to produce the profichi crop?
2 Comments
GoodFriendMike
This is a good question. Not sure if I can truly answer it. But I will try. So far I have came across only a couple people whose trees would not produce profichi. These people live in very tropical areas. The fact that you do have a variety that does produce breba. That makes me think your Capri will produce profichi. As for the people in the very tropical areas. I did mention an idea to them. Not sure if any tried it yet. So not sure if it will work. But I told them to make a "cold house" for them. Basically a insulated shed with a A/C unit to force the trees to go dormant.
[+] 2 users Like GoodFriendMike's post
Rob
From what I see here with our Mediterranean type climate, some figs retain all leaves, some a few and some lose all , but the crops continue. Figs seem to only go dormant if they need to and I don't believe it impacts on any crops. I had several trees here that retained figs over last winter to ripen in spring, and the same this year. With Caprifigs, the Mamme is the overwinter crop, as long as that is retained, and the trees put out overlapping crops, the cycle will continue with wasps, so I see no issue at all.
[+] 2 users Like Rob's post

Bahrain
[+] 1 user Likes aalwatani's post
Comment