Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Hand pollination

If everyone doesn't mind, please post your method of hand pollinating.
I did do it one year and was at least 50% successful.
But I know it can be better...maybe fine tune my method.
10 Comments
GoodFriendMike
I am planning to show the three most common and maybe a couple of odd methods next season. When I have profichi and figs to pollinate. The most common three are. The needle and thread method, The syringe method, And my hybrid method. All three have there pluses and minuses.
[+] 2 users Like GoodFriendMike's post
ktrain
I did the syringe method.
Though...I think I could improve on the recipe. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes ktrain's post
RandyK
I have used the syringe method and what I think of as the "Lamonte" (or hybrid) method.  I think they both worked well.  @GoodFriendMike  I think a tread (or threads) on the different methods and details on each would be awesome!  The thing I'm not sure about is best way to make the pollen solution...what concentration and measurements, is there a better way to suspend the pollen in the solution, etc.
[+] 3 users Like RandyK's post
GoodFriendMike
@RandyK I can see I have my work cut out for me. Smile  If you let the pollen sit in the water for a few minutes it helps. But the pollen really does not like to stay suspended in the water. You have to shake the syringe every time you go to inject a fig. Next season I will try and get an average pollen to water ratio. But some Capri have better or stronger pollen than others. I need to try and figure that out as well. Lots to do. Smile
[+] 3 users Like GoodFriendMike's post
GoodFriendMike
@RandyK I am starting to think I should have started collecting pons figs instead. Just kidding man. I enjoy collecting and trialing them. And there are so many neat new ones being found. I am fortunate to be part of this forum full of really great people. And happy to be able to help. Smile
[+] 2 users Like GoodFriendMike's post

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
[+] 3 users Like ktrain's post
Comment