Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simple Fig Jam

If your harvest is giving you more figs than you know what to do with, here is a simple fig jam recipe that yields approximately 7 pints of jam.

2     Pounds of figs (fresh or frozen, stems removed)

2     Lemons, juiced

1.5   Cups granulated sugar

2     Tablespoons honey  (the original recipe called for 4 tablespoons but I prefer less of the honey taste coming through in the jam)

Pectin, to reach preferred thickness

Instructions:

Place figs, lemon juice, and sugar in a large pot.   

Use medium heat and allow figs to cook down and for jam to lightly boil.   Stir occasionally to avoid burning the jam at the bottom of the pot.

Continue to heat until the jam thickens.   At that time, add honey and stir to mix.   Pectin can be added at this time too.

When the jam is nearly ready for canning, sterilize canning jars and equipment.  

Using a non-reactive ladle (plastic or stainless), scoop out jam and fill canning jar.   Leaver 1/4" head space.   Wipe the rim with a clean paper towel, place lid on jar and tighten with the jar ring.

After all jars are filled, place in a water bath for 20 minutes.  Water should cover the jars by at least 1" and should be gently boiling after the jars are submerged.

After 20 minutes, remove the jars from the water bath and allow to cool.   If sealed properly, the lids should "pop" to indicate they have the appropriate vacuum.  

Any leftover jam or jars which do not seal properly may be kept in the refrigerator for short term use.    The jam typically safely lasts nearly a month in the refrigerator once opened.  However, there are no preservatives in the jam, so monitor open jars for any molding before using.
2 Comments
ktrain
Some simple recipes are some of the best ones I've had.

Thanks for posting a recipe, hope to see many more in the coming days!
MiaD
Thanks for this. Hope I have 2 pounds of figs next season!
[+] 1 user Likes MiaD's post

Hillsborough, NJ    Zone 7b

Wishlist: Angelito, Irene’s Black Greek
[+] 2 users Like Opiem10's post
Comment