Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

St Rita, Rigato de Salento

We’re having a warm week (highs 70-80) and higher than usual temperatures till the end of the year. With no rain in sight and cutting back on irrigation, the remaining figs are really flavorful.

First up is St Rita, a cutting rooted this winter and in a 3-gallon pot. The first fig was a tiny, dense bag that tasted of cherry. So good for a 1st fig from a young tree.
[Image: IMG-3477.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3476.jpg]

We also got probably the best Rigato de Salento of the season—the flavor is improving, particularly with the reduced water. Its light sweet berry flavor was really welcome.
[Image: IMG-3481.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3482.jpg]

Finally, I found my 1st Ponte Tresa of the season. It should have been picked about a week ago, but leaves flattened by the whole tree mesh bag hid it. I hang my head in shame at letting this fig go to waste as it was too musty to eat. Luckily, there’s another that’s probably a few days away from being ripe.

[Image: IMG-3479.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3480.jpg]

Nina—25 miles south of Philly—zone 7B
[+] 1 user Likes 9ah-figlet's post
Comment

Just on looks alone, I probably would have tried eating that one. The uglier they are the tastier they get.  If it doesn’t smell like wine…they are usually fine! And if you don’t see the mold…it isn’t yet too old! I prefer to live dangerously and spit it out occasionally!  Although, with an abundance of figs now, I’m a little more selective. Lol.
2 Comments
9ah-figlet
Oh you better believe I tried. Wink  

I proudly told hubby, “this is what we call in the business a bag of jelly. Want to try some?” He spit it out in a few seconds while I was still trying to find something nice to say. I could tell it had been a good fig is the best I’ve got.
[+] 1 user Likes 9ah-figlet's post
Gladstone1969
@9ah-figlet 
Now that’s the smart way to test it, and definitely something my wife would do to me. After being with her for 14 years, I’ve finally figured out that I should decline when she’s asking me to taste milk.  Big Grin

Brian. Manassas, VA zone 7a. WL: Hollier, CLBC, VDB (any variant), Iranian Candy, Perretta, Unk. Spain, Carrillo Unknown. 
[+] 1 user Likes Gladstone1969's post
Comment

9ah-figlet. Congratulations on growing such a beautiful looking St Rita. I have one growing myself. I only hope it looks as good as yours.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
Comment

I put St Rita in the ground this year, I'm not going to protect it, so I hope it does well.
Pretty sure I gave away my RdS at the fig frolic.
Glad to see you are still getting some num nums, I really hoping for a few I see changing color.

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment