Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Dalle Muro di Tropea

When @Figgerlickinggood posted that video of Calabria destinations, I was wondering if perhaps some stars had aligned or something. Especially since one shot showed where this came from . The position is actually, slightly around the corner from the image but the area is absolutely full of wild figs growing out of every crack and crevasse.... Like anywhere where they grow wild, some look better than others, so the radar needs to stay on. This one was pretty out of reach but the figs on it looked good enough to be worth some level of risk....

Several years on, I could not have made more mistakes with this one. I thought I'd killed it several times. Once when I let it get too cold and another when it went into a greenhouse and it got assaulted by spider mites and lat most recent when the dripper fell out and I didn't notice. This year I got through a full season. I got a fig from it early on so I knew it was a keeper. Finally, this year I got through a proper season.
I introduce to you, Dalle Muro di Tropea (From the Wall of Tropea)
This first set of images is from 2021 before we started having accidents.

[Image: a01.jpg][Image: a1.jpg][Image: a3.jpg][Image: a4.jpg]
[Image: a5.jpg][Image: a6.jpg][Image: a7.jpg][Image: a8.jpg]

[Image: a9-1.jpg][Image: a9-2.jpg][Image: a9-3.jpg][Image: a9.jpg]

This set of pics I took today... (the plate was my snack... it's been warm here)  Fairly different from the first round. The leaves are showing different patterns but this grew back from the soil line last year and this was what I think is the first true main crop.

[Image: 000a.jpg][Image: 000b.jpg][Image: 000c.jpg][Image: 000d.jpg]

[Image: 000f.jpg][Image: 000g.jpg]

I'm looking for the pictures of the mother tree...
Sweet fig with delicate skin. Very little seed crunch. Primarily strawberry/blackberry berry with hints of cantaloupe... Fruity.
1 Comments
Figgerlickinggood
They sure are great looking figs.  Glad the tree’s starting to produce for you.

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 6 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

@TorontoJoe. Wow what an amazing story of Teresa posting the very place you discovered this wild fig find. I am a little befuddled by the two different sizes on the scale. Is one picture from last season, or a Breba crop? Either way I want to bite into that tantalizing Fig Snack plate of yours. Dalle Muro di Tropea is a keeper for sure. Please share with us the back story of how you selected this particular Wild fig growing from the Wall of Tropea, risking your life for a cutting of it.

BTW did you get a chance to sample a fig the day you took the cutting of it?
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
I'm as befuddled as you. I did taste one there... It was smaller and sweet...  It was June but Tropea has a very warm climate year round. (It's glorious)

Certainly climate plays a part... I'm still figuring this one out. With the exception of the one on the wall... I have this one tree and one copy from a layer.

I want to get the whole phyto cert thing figured out for Canada/US so I can share it more readily.
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

Dang, both before and after look very tasty!
Glad it has a will to survive, you may want to call it Rocky Big Grin   It has the eye of the tiger!
Some things in life...deserve a certain level of risk, looks like this was worth it.
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
So true…. For every winner there have been many duds
[+] 1 user Likes TorontoJoe's post

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
[+] 2 users Like ktrain's post
Comment

Nice looking fig. Looks like a Galicia Negra with those interior photos. Is this part of the TJ collection along with Nero di Rocca ? 🤔
[+] 1 user Likes JMF75's post
Comment

Great and informative name
1 Comments
TorontoJoe
I was concerned it was too obvious Smile

South Jersey - USDA Zone 7b
Comment