Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Horticultural Oil, which one to use?

So what is the favorite brand of Horticultural oil to use for figs for dormancy/winter storage?  Does it matter or are they all the same thing?
[+] 1 user Likes DCallahan's post
Comment

@DCallahan Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dormant Spray Oil, 16 oz Concentrate, Disease Prevention & Insect Killer for Organic Gardening
https://a.co/d/7JuIE3Q

Brian. Manassas, VA zone 7a. WL: Hollier, CLBC, VDB (any variant), Iranian Candy, Perretta, Unk. Spain, Carrillo Unknown. 
[+] 3 users Like Gladstone1969's post
Comment

You know I've never used the oils.
Not saying they are bad, I know they help a good bit.
Just never got to it.

Kevin, 8a North Georgia    Cheers!
Current beer selection, Hoegaarden, The original Belgian Wheat. Smile
Comment

I usually make the stuff with vegetable oil or Neem oil and liquid hand soap. 

1 cup of oil.
1 tablespoon of soap

Mix 2 tablespoons of mixture into 2 cups of water in spray bottle and shake well.

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
Comment

In the past when I have bought it I’ve used this…. It did work. Not sure if it’s a Canada only brand though 

https://www.saferbrand.com/safer-brand-i...-oz-5118-6

I imagine the Captain Jack’s stuff is very similar

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
Comment

I've has good success with Monterey Horticultural Oil - Organic Gardening Fungicide, Insecticide, & Miticide - Controls Aphids, Mites, Scales. My main problems are scale and bud mites.
Comment

The highest purity mineral oil that you can get is the best one.  Fewer other chemicals to affect your trees. The bonide linked above is what I've bought instead of getting a gallons (lifetime x2,3,4 supply) of the really pure stuff.  

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pure-Hortic...B0090U1P1Y

I've not seen negative effects applying this with sulfur after leaf drop.  I've had mite issues before that we're treated during the growing season, but I now apply oil and sulfur before packing up each fall and I've not seen them reoccur.  Surely I'll bring some in again at some point and hopefully summer sulfur and spinosad will be sufficient, but this is the dormant season's answer for me.
[+] 2 users Like hambones's post
Comment

@DCallahan @RedRockFig @hambones . I never thought I would consider horticultural oil when Azamax, and Azatrol were available. I just never have been a fan of Horticultural, and Neem. Still I had a big struggle with (FBM) fig bud mites. My original cuttings had several apical buds that came in infected with them, and I was fighting for control all spring, and summer. It makes perfect sense to employ sulfur with neem oil during the dormant months.

BTW is there a recommended amount of sulfur to ad add to the Neem oil per gallon? Also would I be using wettable sulfur, or some other form?

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment