Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I have a bunch of potted figs with ants that have made a home in them.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a soil drench that i can use to eradicate the ant colonies?
I'm not really interested in something that i just apply to the surface or wrap around the trunk, because i think this is just a bandaid.
Ideally something i can drench the soil with which will wipe out the whole colony.
[+] 1 user Likes Lafiggy's post
Comment

Get some Dietemacious Earth. You can also spray with Pyrethrin. Keep the pot from directly touching the ground/soil. Good luck 👍
[+] 2 users Like JMF75's post
Comment

If the pot is small enough. I normally submerge the whole pot in water. For a few hours.

Collector and Grower of Caprifig's
[+] 2 users Like GoodFriendMike's post
Comment

@Lafiggy. I would recommend a threefold approach, basically the same as @JMF75. I would avoid Direct contact with the ground, then spray the fig tree, with a pyrethroid. Most probably Permethrin or pyrethium. Where I would very the approach is I would use it as a drench as well. I have successfully used Permethrin in this fashion. Then of course diatomaceous earth as suggested above. Then I might in rotation apply Spinosad. I would feel okay about this because it's been used as a drench against the BFF larvae with some promise. When moving potted varieties of dragon fruit I used this same formula to successfully prevent importing fire ants into our Sunland Orchard. The timing of the rotational drenches would involve your Horticultural intuition. I would say every week or 10 days. If JMF75 disagrees with this approach go with his.

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
[+] 1 user Likes Figless's post
Comment

Hey @Lafiggy

Ants are a big problem for me... Many of us use organza bags to keep insect pests away from the figs but I find when they get too much I put ant baits in all the hot spots around the trees. I find this really reduces it to where it's no longer a problem.

https://www.terro.com/terro-liquid-ant-baits-t300
1 Comments
Figology

This bait wiped out a monster colony of little black ants at my grandma’s house this past summer.
[+] 1 user Likes Figology's post

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 2 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment

Make a borax / sugar water solution and place in small deli containers in each of your pots. Since I’ve been doing this, I’ve never had a problem with ants. It will wipe out the entire colony. It’s the homemade version of the Terro product.
2 Comments
TorontoJoe
I actually have no idea how it works. I know it's one of those things they take back to the colony and safe around people but I need to ask the Google how his actually happens....
TorontoJoe
Now you have me thinking.... to save some dough.... use the deli containers with lids..... cut a hole in the side half way up the wall and bury it a bit so the ants can get in but it wont wash away on the first rain.

South Jersey - USDA Zone 7b
[+] 2 users Like bushdoctor82's post
Comment

I'm with Mike. Drown the little boogers! lol It does work.

Ants are a big problem here. I have found that many of the species here do NOT like to be disturbed. Fire Ants in particular will pack up and move out if you pester them enough. I have discovered that if I lay the entire tree over on its side for a day, and then roll it about 1/4-1/2 of a turn every 24 hours, they quickly get ticked off and leave. My theory is that they build their little tunnels according to gravity and for rain run off. So turning their world upside down destroys their plans. Fire Ants move out in 3-4 days normally, but some other types take longer. 

With all that being said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I now do my best to keep all pots up off the ground.

Angel #1 Chattanooga, TN Zone 8-A
Join my "Figs" email list
Save The Date: 6th Southeast Fig Frolic Sept. 13, 2025
[+] 3 users Like 2Angels's post
Comment