Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Fall/ Winter projects!

When I was in my teens my friend Valerie’s mom taught the 2 of us how.  I preferred it over knitting.
Now a days I watch YouTube crochet tutorials.  They are very good.

When I was in my teens my friend Valerie’s mom taught the 2 of us how to crochet.  Now a days I watch YouTube crochet tutorials, they’re very good.

Teresa,  Staunton, Northwest Virginia zone 7a
[+] 1 user Likes Figgerlickinggood's post
Comment

@Figless  I am one of 10 grandkids, 3rd oldest Smile  They had a massive yard and planted apples, pears, plums, peaches, cherries, mulberries, figs, herbs, veggies, flowers... It was great! 

As far as the orange tree, I do have clay soil and most do have citrus in yards here... There are so many variables; drought and extreme heat? disease or defect? neglect? Maybe soil like you said. I did fertilize this year and increase watering. I have a suspicion that the garden was neglected, based on the state of some trees and irrigation systems... property was a rental for 10 years before we purchased it.

Come February when the fruit ripens we will see if anything I tweaked made a difference. Ill give it 1-2  more years and then will cut down and replace.

Zone 9b, Phoenix, AZ. 

Future Pomegranates: Haku Botan, California White, Sverkhranniy, Kaj-Acik Anor, Babylonian White, Parfianka.
Future Citrus: Cara Cara or Moro Orange
Future Figs: Wuhan, Syrian Dark, Gulbun, Malta purple, Red or Yellow Lebanese, St Rita, CLBC. 
Comment

No fig projects this winter.   Instead, my wife has me lined up to paint several bedrooms and I need to sheetrock some walls in my garage that got damaged during our construction projects of 2023/2024.

No fig projects this winter.   Instead, my wife has me lined up to paint several bedrooms and I need to sheetrock some walls in my garage that got damaged during our construction projects of 2023/2024.

Hillsborough, NJ    Zone 7b

Wishlist: Angelito, Irene’s Black Greek
Comment

Right now. I am taking a break from up potting some of my Capri. Just put another one in a 45gal pot. Also up potting some of the Poms. At some point I need to start thinking about my winter rooting set up. And if I am going to bring the tropical's inside or get another popup greenhouse.

Collector and Grower of Caprifig's
Comment

The 3rd oldest LOL you were clearly born To Be A gardener. No wonder you bought a house with a home Orchard. A 3-ft by 4 ft pop up Greenhouse may not always be enough Greenhouse for you, maybe we can help you build your perfect Greenhouse when you're ready.

GilaMonster. Figgerlickinggood LOL I can crochet too. They used to teach the young boys in the first, and second grade in some California school districts to crochet, and also to knit, to increase hand dexterity. In case they took up a trade as an adult that required it. 

BTW I will have about 30 ft of Peter's honey cuttings to give away this dormancy season. Also some other varieties like strawberry latte, strawberry verte, let me know if you would like some..

Let's see if I could make a wish list testing testing
Comment

I’ll be rooting a few cuttings, spreading wood chip mulch over my tree beds, and winterizing the figs. But for me, winter is all about harvesting protein from the fields and woods!

Brian. Manassas, VA zone 7a. WL: Hollier, CLBC, VDB (any variant), Iranian Candy, Perretta, Unk. Spain, Carrillo Unknown. 
Comment

Fall means moving my expanded collection in the garage after Thanksgiving. Mathematically, they should fit if I’m able to stack them but I’m nervous. I’d prefer to postpone pruning till the saps stops flowing in January, but they may not fit in the garage w/o pruning first.

I haven’t decided if I’m doing cuttings this year. I’m not supposed to be adding any more trees, but I love doing it. I may only root some of my own cuttings for fig giveaways next season.

I’m uppotting now to alleviate the overall burden, but likely will continue to uppot in the garage over the winter.

We want to improve our irrigation system. We struggled with blow-outs, excessive leaking, and overall capacity this season. I want to transition to 3/4” main line and install cabling to support the irrigation main line and help keep the pots from tipping. I also need to increase the row distance for better sun and easier walking.

Nina—25 miles south of Philly—zone 7B
[+] 2 users Like 9ah-figlet's post
Comment