Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Mother's Fig Jam

The first time I wanted to make fig jam I went to my mother who immediately rhymed off the simple recipe from memory.... For her it was (without thinking of it in this way) just a matter of the cultural alchemy of how you preserve food. I thought it was pretty cool and it's delicious.... Simplicity, as something utilitarian.... only to preserve food rather than to be a treat.

1kg figs (any type because they don't have named for them)
250ml Sugar
60ml Fresh Lemon Juice

That's all!

Stems removed and then go in the pot with med/low heat. It all breaks down in the cooking process. Some may want to go a bit heavier on the sugar but that depends on the figs and ripeness. If you did this with a batch of ripe Smith, I'd suggest tasting as you go.

That's it! It's delicious. I didn't add any pectin or anything like that so it did take about 45 min to firm up. The lemon makes it acidic enough to can well. It turned out absolutely delicious!

Grazie Mamma!

[Image: Jam3.jpg]
6 Comments
MiaD
Thanks for sharing a family recipe.
[+] 2 users Like MiaD's post
Opiem10
Try these fig jams on Challah French Toast with a nice maple syrup drizzle.
[+] 2 users Like Opiem10's post
ktrain
I need to try this next year...we are just little piggies when it comes to figs and never save any for jam. lol

Thanks for sharing!
[+] 1 user Likes ktrain's post
RedRockFig
Simple and Tasty. That is pretty much the recipe I use. I add a little cinnamon and some toasted walnuts. I also use this recipe for a batch of half ripe Fig Jam at the end of the season. Just before the 1st freeze I pick all the half ripe (soft but not fully ripe yet) figs and make a final batch of jam. Usually a little more sugar is needed. Refrigerator or freezer jam taste best I think. The pic is last years jam.

[Image: 20230925-100152.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like RedRockFig's post
ktrain
@RedRockFig    That's a LOT of goodness.
I really need to stop eating them all fresh and save some for this thing y'all call Jam!

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6
[+] 3 users Like TorontoJoe's post
Comment