Fig Fanatic
Inground Project zone 4-5 - Printable Version

+- Fig Fanatic (http://figfanatic.com)
+-- Forum: Home (http://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Fig Talk (http://figfanatic.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Inground Project zone 4-5 (/showthread.php?tid=427)

Pages: 1 2 3

Inground Project zone 4-5 - Vitooch1 - 10-19-2024

Hi guys, some of you may or not know me from other forums but I always like to show some of my strategies on winterizing my inground trees.i learned a few tricks from great members but I always thought maybe I can make something better and easier. The coffin method has always worked for me. 

Here I have a fig tree that’s been in the ground for about 3 years in fact I had another side to side and decided to remove it to focus on the most strongest tree. I’ve always used a fig coffin method cut the tree down to 12’ inches boxed it in and added a heated coil. It worked but it always focused on growth then produced figs at the end of the season. Now, I’m using the same approach but keeping the growth. I chose 4 main leaders and covered them with noodles. I made a base and poured 1” inch of concrete around the trunk to prevent rodents from entering. The box is insulated with 1” inch foam all around with a single heated coil just to provide perfect warm. I’ve always used this method except I chopped the trees down to 12 inches now it’s 65 inches at height. I think this idea might pay off. Hope this will inspire some of you to get creative with easier methods. Good luck guys let me know what you think. 
[Image: IMG-2221.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2361.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2366.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2373.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2374.jpg]
[/url][Image: IMG-2379.jpg]

[url=https://ibb.co/DfVfJDb]upload

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - Figless - 10-19-2024

@Vitooch1  Hi it's really good to see you posting here. You asked what other members thought of your coffin heating system. I think you're a genius. Just a thought I wonder if you could line your wooden coffin with Styrofoam 4'x8' insulation boards from Home Depot, to cut down on energy costs through the winter. Looks like your trees will be warm, and snug through the winter. I don't suppose you would consider making a video of your process? I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing, and learning from it.

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - ktrain - 10-19-2024

Hey there Vito, I have always admired your dedication to protecting those trees, and they look awesome every year so kudos!
Thanks for sharing here...I know your system will be useful to others.
Are you already preparing the coffins?

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - Vitooch1 - 10-19-2024

@Figless And @ktrain thanks this is something I really want to achieve. It’s not about having figs yet cause I get lots from my potted trees. My goal is to really create an tree that withstands our winters. I can wait for the figs. 

On the walls of the fig coffin I placed 1” foam all around I wanted to put 2” inches but it got really tight in there. I didn’t want a box that was hideous and huge. The wattage on that coil is very low energy. If you guys take a close look at the finished box I made access with four screws on top in case I have to get to it. The concrete pad is genius right !!! I was just thinking last season those damn rats know how to find their way in. This time I don’t think so. 

My next step is to cover the bottom soil with mulch add a Bluetooth thermostat and tarp the box. I got a few days of nice weather I’ll keep you posted.

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - Figology - 10-19-2024

Nice to see you again.

Very nice attention to detail and methodical approach.

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - JMF75 - 10-19-2024

Vito very nice to see you. This is a great idea for folks in colder climates.

Thanks 😊

here we have it guys I placed a thermostat in the box. Now I can see what my temperatures and I can control the heat between 5 to 7 degrees. My box is currently 20 degrees because today we had a nice day so my heat switches off.
[Image: IMG-2382.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2383.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2384.jpg]

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - TorontoJoe - 10-19-2024

Nice work fratello! Later I'll copy this to the overwintering section so it's easy to find

Hey joe, I had to somehow make this easier. Have you started winterizing? I told you one day I’ll have my very own inground fig tree just like yours.

RE: Inground Project zone 4-5 - 2Angels - 10-19-2024

I have much respect! This is looking good, Vito. I wish you very good success and no damage this winter.